- As a DSP, my first allegiance is to the person I support; all other activities and functions I perform flow from this allegiance.
Promoting Physical and Emotional Well-Being
- As a DSP, I am responsible for supporting the emotional, physical, and personal well-being of the individuals receiving support. I will encourage growth and recognize the autonomy of the individuals receiving support while being attentive and energetic in reducing their risk of harm.
Integrity and Responsibility
- As a DSP, I will support the mission and vitality of my profession to assist people in leading self-directed lives and to foster a spirit of partnership with the people I support, other professionals, and the community.
- As a DSP, I will safeguard and respect the confidentiality and privacy of the people I support.
Justice, Fairness, and Equity
- As a DSP, I will promote and practice justice, fairness, and equity for the people I support and the community as a whole. I will affirm the human rights, civil rights and responsibilities of the people I support.
- As a DSP, I will respect the human dignity and uniqueness of the people I support. I will recognize each person I support as valuable and help others understand their value.
- As a DSP, I will assist the people I support to develop and maintain relationships.
- As a DSP, I will assist the people I support to direct the course of their own lives.
- As a DSP, I will advocate with the people I support for justice, inclusion, and full community participation.