“BUILDING AN INCLUSIVE COMMUNITY”
- People with disabilities have the same rights as all other people but may need support to exercise those rights.
- People with disabilities, regardless of the severity, belong in the community and should be supported there.
- Supports should enable people with disabilities to become active, participating members of their community.
- Supports should encourage and enhance the development of relationships between people with disabilities and other people.
- Supports should encourage and enhance sources of natural support, including the family.
- Supports should enable people with disabilities to make choices and assume control of their personal affairs.
- Supports should assist people with disabilities achieve a positive and personally desirable future.
- Supports should enhance the dignity and respect of the individual.